Ashland is a true gem, located 5-hours south of Portland in Oregon. It's famous for its award winning Shakespeare Festival, and mild sunny climate. Enjoy boutique inns, spas, wine bars and outstanding restaurants.
Ashland also has a range of options for outdoor enthusiasts. Its 300 days of sunshine make it a popular destination for mountain biking, river rafting and golf. Visitors can also ski at Mt Ashland during winter.
Things to do in Ashland
- Ashland Shakespeare Festival: Ashland's historic downtown area is a renowned Center for the Arts, including the award-winning Shakespeare Festival running from mid-February to the end of October each year. There is a small grassy square just off Pioneer Street, surrounded by 3 Theaters; the Angus Bowner Theater, New Theater and Elizabethan Stage. Each season averages 11 plays; including Hamlet, Pride and Prejudice, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
- Oregon Cabaret Theater: The Oregon Cabaret Theater has a February to December season, including musicals, reviews and comedies. The Ashland Independent Film Festival is another big event on Ashland's Calendar.
- Lithia Park: Lithia Park is in the center of town, listed on the National Historic Register. This 98-acre park has extensive walking trails, a creek, beautiful gardens, and historic features like the Water Fountain and Fountain Terrace. There are also free musical performances at the "Butler Bandshell".
- Ashland wineries: If you'd like to take things at a slower pace, visit some wineries and tasting rooms in the local area; including "Weisingers, "South Stage Cellars" and "Paschal Winery".
- Science Works Museum: If you have kids, consider a visit to the Science Works Museum. Your kids will love the hands-on exhibits.
- Skiing: During wintertime, travel an hour outside of Ashland to the Mt Ashland Ski Area, with 23 trails accessed by 4 chairlifts.
- Biking: Get information and tours on the best bike trails from "Ashland Mountain Adventures".
- Rafting: If you're interested in whitewater rafting along the scenic Rogue River, review the table below for a list of tour guides.
- Golf: Or if you'd prefer a round of golf, visit Ashland's Oak Knoll Golf Course.
Downtown Restaurants in Ashland
The downtown core along "E Main Street" is a buzz of activity, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants. The "Calle Guanajuato Lane" off E Main Street has creek side dining and a market during summer.
There is a huge selection of lodging, hotels, inns, rentals and bed and breakfasts in Ashland. The most recognized hotel is the exquisite Ashland Springs Hotel on E Main Street. Other options include:
- Winchester Inn Ashland Oregon
- Peerless Hotel
- Windmill Inn
Things to do near Ashland
Other options include:
- Crater Lake - 89 miles northeast
- Oregon Cave - 89.4 miles west
- Jacksonville Oregon - 17 miles northwest
© Copyright 2012.